I don't smoke. Never did.
I don't drink alcohol. Never did in excess, now, it's just never.
I get enough rest, I try to eat good, healthy foods, I stay hydrated. I avoid vocal abuse (hockey games, etc), and position myself out of harms range of my speakers. With all that diligence ... the years, the crowds, the secondhand smoke (maybe), and the passion to please have led me to a small growth at the back of my throat. It doesn't hurt, but it always feels like I'm still swallowing something. I'm seeing an ENT as soon as possible, but my family doctor suggested that it will most likely need to be removed, and biopsied. So, without all the doom and gloom talk, there will most likely be a least "SOME" period of time off to rest my overused pipes. Thus the title of this post. What do you do when your voice is your main instrument?

Here's my plan:
Before I actually have the procedure ("IF" I even need one) - I'm recording some of my best songs WITH live vocals and room for solos. I'll mix these in with DJ tracks of favorite dances, and I'll bring my guitar, uke, sax, flute and clarinet on stage. I'll bump up the instrumentals, and "sprinkle in" a few of my personal tracks to remind the crowd of why they came. I won't lip sync ... I'll merely play along on the horns or strings, while my recorded voice plays digitally. I always loved being in a horn section, so I'll be right at home. It's a part time fix, and not a permanent situation, so I don't see it as slaking off, or cheating in any way. Many of my venues know me as a horn player anyway, so this fresh sound just might be a welcome addition to a sound they already enjoy, and support.

The addition of live players to a DJ rig (mostly drums or percussion, but horn, too) is becoming more, and more mainstream, and it's already pretty common at weddings and larger banquets in my area. It might actually be fun to be an auxiliary player to a track that everyone knows. I get to sweeten the mix. Sprinkle some magic dust onto a tried, and true arrangement. I might just enjoy this. (he said, optimistically)

On a personal note ... the thought of not singing, even for a few weeks (or, GULP, longer) is tearing me up inside. I can't imagine it. Even when I'm tired at work, I find myself singing on breaks ... and the ride home. It's hard for me to SHUT THIS TRAP! smile

I'm not looking for pity or medical advice - just thought I'd open a dialog about "what if" for the gang. In almost 50 years on stage, I NEVER once missed a night's work due to illness. (I did "fib" once or twice to get a night off) I even remember singing the night I had three wisdom teeth pulled. That was rough, but I made it. I was sucking on cotton balls soaked in scotch on breaks - did the trick.

Anyone have any other creative "Plan B" ideas to share ... just in case?
smile
Peace, and shhhhhhh I'm resting my voice.