Mike: The former response is a good one. If you are familiar with the I, II, V sequence of chords (i.e. I = home or base chord, II = second note of scale in minor 7th chord form, and V = dominant 7th chord), all V chords generally lead back to I--for example, in the key of C, I = C, II = Dm7 and V = G7. So, since most tunes end on the home or base chord (e.g. in the key of C, usually the last chord is C or C6), then you can generally play the V chord and begin your song again. When you want to slide into another key, a similar idea can be used, always using the V chord of the key you want to move to to slide into the new key/song, (although sometimes moving from one key to another requires a chord or two between the final base chord of the first key and the new V chord of the next key to make a smooth transition into the next V chord of the new key). Hope this doesn't confuse you; somehow I find it easier to DO than to explain!!!! Let me know how it works for you either here in the Forum or via e-mail. Good luck and happy playing.

Ted Rose

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Daniell:
I know there are many fine musos amongst the contributors to this forum, especially when I listen to the music you have recorded, so maybe someone can advise me on a composing/arranging matter.

If I work on a piece that basically I want to play through three times, changing sounds and rhythm variations progressively, I would like to play some kind of bridge before coming in for the third time. I know that the Pad 5 (or 6 if minor key) often provides something suitable, but what I want advice on is how to go about writing my own bridge (is 'bridge' the right word?). For example, should it be based on a standard chord progression? Any tips on how the melody of the bridge relates / does not relate to the melody of the song?

What do the pro's do?

Thanks,
Mike

[This message has been edited by Ted Rose (edited 04-08-2002).]