Originally Posted By: Mikem
Originally Posted By: rosetree
Originally Posted By: Mikem
Thanks for that detailed breakdown. smile

So, if I understand you correctly, the 1,100 sounds that are identical in both units actually sound better on the BK-9?

No, the additional 600 sounds make the difference. I think the identical 1,100 sounds really sound identical. I'm not sure if there's a noticeable difference in the effects, I haven't noticed any, but I don't think there's a difference in the sample quality of those 1,100 sounds. (Small surprising exception: the BK-7m even has one tiny advantage: it has two or three so-called "Natural sounds" - a simpler type of "SN" sounds: at least one sax and one trombone. Their pitch bend reacts with natural scales. This feature has been eliminated in these 2 or 3 sounds in the BK-9 probably due to the 22 SN sounds - however these 22 SN sounds don't include such a trombone and a different (worse!) sax.)

Great to know! So the BK-7m is a very good-sounding arranger, except for those acoustic guitars, unfortunately, which I don't like.

As a side note, some forum members had asked a while ago if the BK-5 was as good as the BK-7. I tried the BK-5 in a store and thought it sounded pretty awful. It does not compare to the BK-7m at all.

Thanks for your response, Rosetree. smile

I would say: BK-7m is a good-sounding arranger module, but the differences to BK-9 are very audible not only regarding acoustic guitars, but also string sections and somewhat brass sections, and the hundreds of additional sounds from SonicCell and others provide more versatile choices in any sound categories.