A little OT in this thread: The great hotel buyout in the Sauerland mountains continues...

This is what we found after a winter hike in the mountains 50 miles south of my city today:

All the parking lot of a restaurant we had visited before was full of Dutch cars now. And this wasn't in the main tourist resort of the region. The interior had changed, and there were about 100 Dutch guests sitting inside. My friend and I were the only Germans. As the waitress explained, the new hotel owners are Dutch.

This is what has happened to lots and lots of hotels in this medium-range mountain region of Wesphalia. A logical consequence, as there are just far too little German tourists, whereas the Dutch seem to be thrilled with the hilly scenery.
I like the Dutch, it's just a bit sad that there's hardly a restaurant left in such rural towns in this region where you can have traditional local cakes and food, while you can enjoy Dutch recipes everywhere in the Sauerland mountains confused But it's the market... If the demand is 95% Dutch, supply adapts to it.

Germans are spoilt by cheep flights and last minute vacation, what once used to be an attractive region for short trips and holidays in the 1950s to 1970s just bores them nowadays. For the Dutch it still seems to be very attractive, as it is another country, a 2 to 4 hour drive and a somewhat unusual scenery for them.

Attachments
IMG_1561.JPG

Edited by rosetree (02/28/16 01:10 PM)