In writing a comment to Rico tonight, it reminded me of a newspaper article a reporter did on me a few years back. She heard me playing the accordion somewhere and thought it was "novel." So she interviewed me for a "human interest story." I saved a copy of it and thought I would share it with you.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Well-Traveled Musician Makes Good Music and Conversation

Accordionist/pianist/vocalist/arranger player shares insights from years of making music around the globe

Mark, born and raised in Denville, learned to play the accordion at the young age of ten, after being hit by a car. “I broke my arm but otherwise I was all right,” he recalls. “With the $1,200 settlement (a lot of money at that time) my father, having learned of a new accordion studio recently opened, bought me an accordion and started me on formal music lessons. With that basic music knowledge I also became proficient at other keyboard instruments. “

In his early twenties, Mark left for Europe. “In the beginning I played in the streets of London with an open case in front of me. Everyone loves music in Europe so I played night and day, enjoying every moment,” narrates Mark. From his “street” earnings he regularly bought new music equipment to continue his advancement as he started playing in restaurants, East and West End pubs, and the working men’s clubs up in the North and in Liverpool.” In between, he traveled around Europe and played French musette music in the streets of Paris, romantic songs in Italy, Paso Dobles in Barcelona where he also lived for a few months, and a lot of Bierkellar music in Germany. “In London, I met a guitarist who introduced me to the German beer halls and I just loved that because the music was exciting.......dynamic. They listen a lot to vibrant marches and melodic Strauss waltzes.......music Heaven to me.”

After ten years playing in Europe, he decided to come back home to the US to start a new career here. “When I got back I thought about the best way to do that because know one knew me” says Mark. He got the bright idea of calling up a major shopping mall and offered to play there free. “I called them up and said I’d like to perform in the aisle. If they didn’t like it, I’d pack up. But if they did like it, I’ll stay the rest of the day. Well, they enjoyed the music so much I was there for ten years,” he delightedly recalls. Through that gig, he met a lot of important people and was able to get numerous other engagements and kick-start his music career again.

“I was lucky because, with music technology constantly advancing, I was able to go it alone as a one-man-band,” adds Mark. “I stopped working in a band when I was eighteen because the fellows were difficult to get along with (as in most bands). Everyone wanted to do their own thing. The new music equipment enabled me to become a one-man-band and still sound like a full orchestra.”

Mark says he was lucky enough to do nothing but play music full time. “God has always been good to me. I was given music talent and recognized it at an early age. I embraced that talent, nurtured it, learned my craft and learned how to apply it to audiences. I studied vigorously. I “picked up the ball and ran with it!”

Acting with a Christian mindset, he says he never really looked at his music solely as a means to earn money. Instead, he considers it a service to people. “You affect everyone greatly with music. I learned that by tuning in to my audience as I play. It’s an engaging experience. I always felt I had a service to do musically, and I wondered “how can I help people through it? How can I make people’s lives more harmonious? What can I bring into this person’s life? When on stage, I’d be watching folks and saying: “God, direct my performance so we can bring joy to these people.” He attests that is how he’s been making music all his life.......viewing it as both entertaining and therapeutic.

Mark performs as a pianist, vocalist, accordionist, and one-man-band. He even works as a disc jockey which he sees as another way to reach people with music. He performs for concerts, shopping malls, stores, corporations, libraries, senior citizen locations, etc. He adds that much of his satisfaction comes from playing for seniors. They are his favorite audience, nowadays, because they have the time to sit down, listen and really appreciate music, unlike the younger, busier generation. The music is important to them because each song triggers a memory.

“Many people have said to me over the years, "I wish I could do what you do (what they would like to do instead of their own job." I have no answer to that other than to say to them “decide what it is you like doing” and proceed to invest the hours needed in studying that craft or vocation.” That’s basically what I did. The real talent comes not in being good at something, but in having enough dedication and perseverance to pursue your goals.

"My motto has always been “good music and plenty of it.” I believe that whatever you do, you can’t go wrong with that formula. It’s what always worked for me."