After many, many years of doing restaurant gigs, supplemented by guest shots at philharmonics and big bands, I'm thinking about leaving my house job at a country club and concentrating on studio work and freelancing.

I've been doing studio work for 4 national accounts for several years. The work starts at 2:30 on Sunday and finishes on Monday evening about 6:00 PM (with no "surprises"). The production company wants a commitment to a 2nd session a week. That means a total of 60 hours in studio on Sunday/Monday and Wednesday/Thursday.

The good news is, I LOVE to play with other players...do it as often as I can, and, if I take the "leap", looks like i could book Fridays and Saturdays for the near future with a couple of calls. More good news: I'd be playing B-3, Guitar, bass (upright and electric), piano, vibes (a personal favorite); sometimes in interesting combinations, plus more vocals than I really like to do.

For vibes, B-3 and Motown jobs I sometimes do (two bassman heads and 2 2-15 cabinets), I'd have to buy a van, so Ive got to think this one thru pretty carefully.

One problem: two small clubs have asked me to sign for multiple nights a month already on guitar and piano, making it pretty hard to keep the variety going, which is what I really enjoy.

Whatever happens, I'm approaching 71 and am still able to work the top venues in the area for top money. Best of all, I get to play with the area's finest.

And to me, that's what it's all about.

What do you think?

Russ

(Yea, I know, Chas, that's lots of hours, but that's my life, and I want to do it as long as I'm wanted).

Edited by captain Russ (09/03/15 02:29 PM)