Hi Henni

You have come around to what most have been saying since the Audya came out, in that Midi is more flexible than Audio and when combined with VSTs the sound is just as good.

There is nothing wrong with Audio (It is used regularly in the professional scene, however it is fully editable just like Midi) but requires good hardware and software to make the most of it, unfortunately hardware arrangers use hardware that is so old it is just not up to the job, but after having said that, if the arranger manufactures used standard audio files (As are used in all professional Studios etc.) rather than their own format, then all the editing work could be done externally with the finished article loaded back in to the arranger.

Yamaha styles

For me personally I find them to be the least realistic of any manufacture (They also make it difficult to edit or change the Mega/SA voices) as they are overblown, with everything overemphasized, which while sounding great in isolation (Which is ideal for the home player market for which they have always been designed), but if you listen regularly to live bands you soon realise just how unrealistic and artificial the styles are. (Other manufactures are much better at giving a more realistic backing sound; however it requires more understanding of music to play them as you have to think as if you are part of a band, rather than solo)

Intros and endings are great for impressing the neighbours (At least for the first few styles) but are not used by professionals as they are unchanging and lead you into their way of doing things, rather developing you own style of play. (If you listen to 10 different professional musicians playing the same tune they will all have their own individual style, however if you listen to 10 arranger players doing the same then they will all sound the same, as they are following the style rather than doing their own thing)

As Gary has said many times though, if it’s just solo entertainment you want, then deep routed skills would just get in the way, (Unless you were playing to musicians of course) so canned styles do have their place.

Anyway that’s my view and I am sure others will have different views, which is what makes life so interesting.

Regards

Bill