One thing that comes through loud and clear in these NH gigs, is that lugging a $2-5000.00 Arranger keyboard offers you no particular advantage over the Laptop/singer competition (whether they think you're playing it or not). So unless you're Donny or Gary, who are able to make a sufficient living at it, how do you justify, or rather, why do you even bother, to spend all that money to not only purchase, but constantly upgrade to the 'latest/greatest', if it doesn't enhance your presentation.

It seems pretty obvious to me that what is REALLY important is the singing and 'entertaining' part of your act.....that, and your good looks. I can see buying an Arranger for one's own personal pleasure, but why risk damaging it, incurring all the wear and tear, and going through all the hassle of song preparation and gig setup, if it matters not a whit to the appeal of your act?

Of course I'm only referring to NH gigs here (re above). Obviously, you need to carry your instrument/s to a club (or similar) gig. But, truth be told, I think Tony and Steve's posts above, are a testament to the growing acceptance of Laptop/DJ/KJ performances in venues where 'live' music use to prevail. It seems like THEY have adjusted, maybe WE need to. Maybe (gasp) Donny is right; maybe Arrangers ARE dying. Personally, I don't think so, I just think the NEED for them (or perhaps even the whole concept of the OMB) may be diminishing. JMO.

chas