Originally Posted By: cgiles
Very informative post, Ian, and very accurate. I hope those not that familiar with the Hammond organ take the time to read it. Of all the 'clonewheels', I think the KeyB Duo Mk111 comes closest to capturing the 'B3' feel. Not only the ergonomics (all the controls are essentially the same as on the original), but also the tone, keyfeel, console size, and the way the various tone modifiers (CV, keyclick, percussion,, chorus, etc.) work. I know that every owner thinks that THEIR selection is the best, but in this case, I've done A/B comparisons with the MOJO, the Nord C2D (which I also own) and most of the Hammond/Suzuki line, and with and without (internal 'sim') my Leslie 3300 and, although close, especially when played through the Leslie, I think the edge definitely goes to the KeyB. My choice of the KeyB over a 'real' B3 had nothing to do with economics but the amount of 'care and feeding' (maintenance) I was willing to give it. There were also some other 'convenience' features not available on the 'real' B3 that I liked (linked pedal, pedal sustain, transpose, and multiple models (A100, C3, etc.). I may yet get a 'real' one, depending on the available space in whatever house we downsize to (it would have to share space with a grand piano).

In the Lucky Peterson video, I was trying to show how it would be VERY difficult to capture the quality of BLUES playing seen there on an arranger keyboard; but then again, very few arranger players play the blues anyway, so maybe the point is moot smile.

chas

Chas, maybe the reason we arranger players (and devotees) rarely play the blues is that we are just so damn HAPPY.

Even our traditional accordion loving Fran has a thing for arrangers.

I guess we are so happy because we have a very forgiving band on hand (left hand, at that!), that doesn't even complain about the occasional boo-boo or what genre of music we want to play, and how many times we'd like to play it ad nauseam.

Those little electronic band-mates are also very obedient, that is, if you give them the proper chords to play and don't make them play a 3/4 song in 4/4 time.

Seriously, instruments like the KeyB and Hammond XK3c Duo do give the gigging/home organist some worthy features such as different organ models/tonewheel sets and the transposer and many other adjustable parameters not possible on the ole B-3...I know a transposer would be handy occasionally when the singer is a little croaky, or we have another player, who wants already familiar tunes in another key.

Yes, I'm lazy, but I'm also 65 and I just want to jam and not take things so seriously (fun?)...jam sessions are huge stress relievers.

I always consider playing the Hammond B-3 an "occasion"...it's like driving a mint condition 1950 Caddy or Harley, as opposed to a new Lexus or Kawasaki.

Sure, I wouldn't want to attempt any long trips in a rather high-maintenance vintage vehicle any more than I'd want a genuine B-3 here in my apartment...I sold mine for a reason, mainly, as you say, the care and feeding can be bothersome (and pricey), but that doesn't mean I don't miss the old girl.

I suppose that's why some artists demand an actual B-3 on stage..."there's nuthin' like the real thing".

Ian