A few weeks ago, I decided to rewrite the bulk of my custom drum styles to include the "one touch" sounds that I really use the most, instead of the ones that came with the styles from the factory. Whew .... quite the chore. I'll share my madness:

1) I am a Rhodes "go to" guy. 90% of my night is EP driven. I just love the sound, and it blends well with my voice.
2) I still enjoy the simple acoustic trio sound of piano, bass and drums so I set up my "start up" patch to be a brighter than classical, jazzy acoustic piano sound in full KB mode. Many nights before I play any drums or bass, I will warm up a room with gentle acoustic noodling and maybe do a ballad before I start the drummer.

So ... I have the piano set to the "My Setting" (default) patch that fires up first. If I make any changes during a performance, I can always get back to that starting point by hitting this button, so in essence, there are really 5 STS settings for me available. I chose:

1)piano
2)rhodes
3)organ w/leslie (not too percussive)
4)sax section
5)brass section

These 5 STS settings will not affect the split point, arranger mode or any other style element, other than my RIGHT HAND sound. I can slip in and out of a tune, play a solo or different feel for a different section and always get back to home base, whether it's piano or Rhodes. I like it, I like it a lot.

Then, for more variety, there's always the 3 right hand tones available, so more sonic fluff is always there at my fingertips. Unless a song is "sound specific" ... I start with a generic trio of piano (Rhodes on top), bass and drums. It's a great time saver for me to have all these "bread and butter" sounds ready for instant recall. Time well spent.