>0< Db to me is optimum. At times it can be a little difficult to maintain, particularly when recording vocals. Once you've got your levels set, your pop screen or damper in place, lyrics at eye level, phone off the hook, you know the drill..everything set at the right position for recording and then you go ahead and begin laying down the vocal track not realizing you might be moving ever so slightly one way or another while singing, it's often just enough to put you over the top and into clip country. It can be hit and miss if you're doing everything..ie. all instrumentation and vocals. I've done some where the vocals just couldn't have been better and then a day later, similar track, it's either not there or distorted off the scale. If you're covering the role of both musician/singer and engineer, if you're like me, you're gonna be your own worst critic anyways. Remember, a lot of these artists you hear on the air have got someone doing all the magic for them so just do the best you can with what you've got. You can't expect any more from yourself than that. Good Luck