There are some problems with Win 8 as with any new OS (Which is why I and most IT professionals still recommend Win 7) however I have never come across anybody with the problems you’re having.

I would say there is a program or app on the system (Which was probably added by the manufacture or dealer) that is constantly checking for updates and new program to install on it, so go into programs and features in the control panel, (Or type programs & features in the search box on the charms bar) and uninstall any program (Including toolbars) that you do not use, and see if that solves the problem. (Also remove any apps you don’t need)

In addition having multiple anti-virus/malware programs running at the same time can also cause problems as they can interfere with each other, (Remember Win 8 has its own inbuilt Anti-Virus/Malware program included as standard) so try and use the minimum amount. (In addition make sure you have the very latest addition of ASC installed as there are compatibility issues with earlier versions of it and Win 8)

When you have cleared out the unused programs, download & install Start Menu 8 (It’s free) from http://www.iobit.com/iobitstartmenu8.php and choose the Vista option. You will now have a system that operates just like Vista while still having all the additional features of Windows 8.

Hope this helps

Bill