Joe Lee Richards just called to tell me that it would most likely be the last time we would talk. His lungs have become so weak that the doctors don't expect him to last more than another day or two. He also is having heart failure.
I know quite a few members here met Joe at the Arranger Jams in Shreveport. He was the guy who made the videos of them, and he sang, played guitar, and used his Ketron Midjay for music.
He was a really good fried of mine and of Hank B.
He asked me to tell you how much meeting you and getting to jam with you meant to him.
I will probably drive up to Arkansas tomorrow if the doctors will allow me to see him.
For many years Joe was known as the "Singing Sheriff". He served as county Sheriff for many terms and was still active in local politics, in fact still serving as City Councilman in Benton, Arkansas. In his younger years he played with many of the top country entertainers in Nashville.
I met Joe through the Yahoo Solton Forum, when we realized we were both from Benton, although in different states. He made many trips to Louisiana after that. He and I and Dean Mathis played several 4th of July concerts for "his" Benton.
Joe said that he is ready to go on. I hope those of you who pray will include him and his large family.
Thanks for letting me share this with you.
DonM