There's plenty of room for diversity in how musicians do what they do.

I sequence and arrange all of my own backing tracks. I've been doing this since high school in 1986. I have many arrangements finished on different keyboards. I can bring all of those arrangements with me as WAV and MP3... much lighter than bringing 3-4 old workstations with me.

My talent is sequencing so I don't need to buy backing tracks, I create them. My wife and I both sing at our gigs and that's what we focus on. During a set, we sing and I play piano... Then we add a few backing tracks arranged by me, the way we want it. I trigger WAV files from my Sonar VS-100 mixer which sits at my left on the corner of my Motif ES7. I trigger sequences from the Motif. The important thing is to keep the show going.

My new goal is to have one keyboard for the gig where I can organize all different types of files into a set list. I see a Tyros 5 (or whatever they will call it in 2013) of PA3x in my future.

Having everything at my fingertips in front of me, keeps me facing the audience. It makes it easier to transition into the next song through a short, funny story while setting the next song.

Plenty of room for ALL kinds of of musicians... Button pushers... Arranger players... Sequencing guys... Karaoke singers... Guitarists playing to backing tracks... And just people having their own fun with music! Peace!!!
Yamaha Genos - RCF M20x - RCF HD10A (Stereo) - Jupiter Pocket Trumpet - Sennheiser e935 - Neumann KMS-104 plus-N