I'm not totally convinced Yamaha implemented audio styles in a MOTL arranger in order to perfect them in a future TOTL arranger. Everything evolves one way or another. But as Diki explained, it sure seems like that COULD be the case. However you need to start somewhere, and why not in a MOTL arranger that was due for a new model anyway. When, and if the new T5 arrives, it will be interesting to see if Yamaha audio styles will be interchangeable between a T5 and a S950.

In any case I give Yamaha credit for venturing into audio styles, and while it's true, they could have put more effort in improving the current midi drum tracks, they have included many more midi drum kits in the 950...kits we have not heard yet, so hard to judge. So it sure seems like Audio styles are here to stay, and I would guess it won't take long for someone to develop software that will allow editing of the audio drums. Cakewalk?

PS...Just wondering...Would it really take a reboot to load any new future audio styles? I would think they could be stored on a USB stick or in User Styles for almost instant call up. I also heard audio styles take only slightly longer to load than midi files. True?

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900