I am quite sure that a modern BOTL/MOTL arranger WILL sound considerably better than what you currently have. And, if you thought the VA76 was real nice, you are going to be amazed by what the BOTL Roland's can do and sound like.

An awful lot of improvement has happened since the days of the i-series. Multi-velocity drum sounds have brought a dimension of dynamics streets ahead of older arrangers, and the guitars are also massively improved.

I find the Roland styles very inspiring to play over... I have always felt that they leave a real 'player' just the right amount of room to play over without being swamped or left naked. Possibly one of the reasons I have stuck with Roland's for so long.

There is a LOT from the VA76 in the BK's... they were the start of the move away from the GS 'Sound Canvas' based arrangers, towards the more modern sounds that current Roland's have. Some of the drumkits are lifted pretty lock stock and barrel from the VA76.

I think, if you really liked your VA76, you will be amazed at how close the BK5 can sound, at a fraction of the price!