News flash: My Korg microARRANGER ! has arrived !

Just to let you know that an hour ago I finally took delivery of my new baby. I immediately slipped it out of its box. It certainly fittingly matches it's micro name as it feels even lighter than 9lbs. I'm able to lift it with one hand and carry it under one arm, yet it's built, fit and finnish looks & feels pretty solid. Though the key size/feel may not be ideal, it's certainly playable esp for casual entertainment and well worth the compromise to gain that classic Korg pro sound in a ultra lightweight portable package. Listening thru headphones, it sounds as professional as any $1500-2500 arranger out there, as even thru the onboard speakers, it sounds acceptable enough to satisfy a group of people in a small room. I had very few expectations of such a budget priced keyboard when I ordered it, but it's definitely satifying my longtime fantasy for an ultra portable arranger that you can so quickly pick up & take with you anywhere. I never expected this keyboard to replace or compete with my Tyros 4 (it doesn't), but it certainly adds a terrific new flavor of impressive sounds and live sounding styles, and makes a wonderful addition, either separately, or together with my Yamaha keyboard.

My response to the debate over being able to switch back to playing Tyros 4 or my fully sized & weighted piano keys of my Steinway Grand Piano:
I discovered long ago I had to approach every keyboard I play differently and as entirely different instruments in their own right. I found it important not to solely play just one, but all the keyboards you own regularly and not become only used to one key feel & size alone. Afterall, even my Tyros 4's keys are considerly lighter & smaller sized than the ones on my Steinway. The closest non- musical instsrument analogy I can make is driving a small car vs a large bus. Once you've become accustomed equally driving both, you can then be able to easily adapt and switch back and forth.

The only thing I got to remember now (until I can convince Korg to update the OS to include rootless chord recognition like the Pa2X and Pa3X have) is to remember to always include the chord root note when I play. wink

On another note, I finally located the idea Effects unit to use with my Korg microArranger when I want to include vocals. Because the microArranger DOESN'T support internal volume adjustment or adding internal effects to it's stereo line-in signal, I found a small ultra compact (for portability) effects processor that includes an output volume level control knob to handle the mic volume control. Enter the Alesis NanoVerb weighing just little over 1 lb and 4.5 x 5.5 x 1 inch. It includes all these features plus more. I was able to get one from a local musician buddy for a $10 song as he just happened to have a spare one sitting in his closet gathering dust.Though admittedly TC Helicon's stellar effects are better, you pay for that luxury, and the TC Helicon equvilent (the VoiceTone Create XT) doesn't include a volume output level adjusment, which is pretty much required if you want to adjust the mic volume level thru a Korg miniArranger/PA50. I just setup my mic going into the NanoVerb and then into the miniArranger and it sounds and works beautifully, either heard thru the keyboard's speakers & headhphones, and/or out the keyboard's main outs to a PA.

Ok, enough for now. Back to exploring and playing my new toy. Thanks to Frank @ Audioworks for the excellent deal and prompt service getting it out to me so quickly. smile

Scott