Today, I mailed out 32 letters to locations where I regularly perform. Here's a copy of the letter:

Travlin' Easy Productions
Gary Diamond
(my address, etc...)

March 21, 2011

TO: All Activities Directors and Program Directors

After decades of maintaining the same fee schedule, I must, unfortunately, increase my musical performance rate by 25-percent in order to offset rapidly rising production costs. The massive increases in fuel, transportation, liability insurance, equipment insurance, new equipment, repairs and maintenance, and other business expenses associated with providing musical entertainment have been overwhelming. The rate increase will be effective June 1, 2011.

I sincerely hope this fee increase will not have an adverse effect on our current performance schedule, or produce a financial hardship for any of my clientele. If there is a problem, please feel free to call me at any time.

Sincerely,

Gary Diamond

I hated to send the above letter(s), but after doing this year's income tax returns I realized that at the old rate I would be loosing income if the rate was retained. And, after talking with several of the ADs during the past few weeks, they all said the increase was no problem and the schedule would remain the same.

Doing the math at income tax time really opens your eyes to the overall impact of rising fuel costs--everything takes a bad hit.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)