Elizabeth, there is nothing elaborate nor even difficult in what most of us do when we set up the keyboard for a song. And, after you do it a few times you would be surprised at how fast it can be done. I often start with a song that I had done previously that is similar in nature and uses a general rhythm pattern like I want for the new song. Then I change Composer memories and voicing so that the background and voicing is more uniquely suited for the song I am working on. Usually this only takes a few minutes. For me, as I use the setup several times I tend to notice little changes that I want. I make those changes and save the results. So the library is being tweaked often as the setup is being used. No one can teach you because only you know how you want the song to sound. It is just a matter of giving it a try.

You said; “Slicing up one song into 8 pieces just boggles my mind!”. I think that you do it all the time. You just don’t think about it that way. All of us who have played more than a couple of years know the things that John A talked about when he elaborated on the need for variations in voicing and rhythm as we played a song. That’s why we talk about using multiple changes as we play the song. I’m surprised that no one talked about bridging to a different key. You talked about moving between RT-1 and RT-2. When you do that, it is the same thing others do when they change to the next panel memory. You have sliced the song into another piece. Do that four times as you play the song and another four times as you play the song through a second time and you have sliced the song into eight pieces as you said other people do.

The fact that most of us make the changes by selecting a different panel memory as opposed to the way you (and I think John C) change voicing or rhythm is not all that important. As long as your method works for you, it is the right method. I just happen to prefer using panel memory changes with a foot switch because I often find that I want a change right when I am trying to change chords and am playing a fast right hand. It just isn’t physically possible for me any other way. And, I like the ability to change both rhythm and voicing (and sometimes tempo) with a single tap with my foot. The method that you use is almost identical to the way we used to do it with older keyboards before Technics gave us the super fast SD card to work with.