Originally Posted By: Scottyee
This video was sponsored by Yamaha USA. As this is an 'arranger' forum, I posted it to show what one can (elevator-ish or not) do with a jazz tune in auto accomp mode. Certainly no comparison (not even close) to playin' with top flight live jazz cats, as you did so well. I really enjoyed your keyboard performance with the JazzItUp! band, especially your soloing! Second to that, its still really fun & rewarding to emulate a jazz combo on the arranger minus the 3am late hour smoke & booze. Dave, your kb's vocal scat samples sounded great but I wasn't won over by the sound of the piano sample . . . overly brittle and harsh to my ears. Which Roland piano patch did you use? btw: I still fondly remember the times we met at Namm when you were a GEM rep. Enjoyed watching you play back then, but man, it's a treat to see you 'let loose' and really shine playing with your JazzItUp! band group. cool

Hi Scott,

I'm glad you posted the video because it is nice to see an arranger used for a song that might be thought of as non-arranger material. And Like I said, the player has some nice chops. The only thing that I didn't really care for was the vibes w/harmony patch. Might have been nice to play a short solo with the vibes sound sans harmony though. All in all, very cool.

As for the piano sounds on the video I posted, I couldn't agree more. I absolutely hated that piano sound. I have since upgraded the RD300SX to an RD700GX w/SuperNATURAL Piano Expansion. It is a far better acoustic piano sound than the 300SX, still not the perfect piano sound, but at least acceptable.

It was certainly fun meeting you and other forumites at NAMM over the years. I miss those times.

Maybe if I get some free time I'll record A Night In Tunisia on my Pa588 and post it here as to stay in context of the arranger forum. wink

Dave