The thing is, I DON'T want to lose those SA effects. I would just like them tasked to footswitches rather than velocity, so I can do hammer-ons at low velocity and straight notes at high, should I want to. I know there are voices without them on AT ALL, but that's not what I'm after (if I had one!)...

This is one area where at least Korg's comprehensive voice editing trumps the better (AFAIK) Yamaha samples. Yamaha give you NO (zero, nada, zilch) editing of SA2 voices whatsoever, at least as far as the effect triggers.

It is often stated that detail editing tends to intimidate the more casual user, and this is why Yamaha chose not to do it, but I think there is a solution. An option (in the 'Global' section) to HIDE the more advanced parameters from the casual user, and simplify the interface achieves this without penalizing the more advanced user.

I think Yamaha could easily pick up quite a few more customers by doing this, rather than forcing them to choose between preset simplicity and full editing by leaving the line altogether.