Certainly there will be those who will state and believe that the Yamaha Tyros4 is, " better than anything on the arranger market."

And, there are those who state and believe that the Korg PA2Xpro (or, now the 3X) is, "better than anything on the arranger market."

And, let's not forget the Roland aficionados who think that the Roland G-70 (or E-80) is "better than anything on the arranger market".

It's strange, but even as I write these three statements, they start looking sillier and sillier.

I hardly think that Tyros4 is actually "better" than PA2Xpro(or3X) or G-70(E-80) because "better" can have so many meanings.

It (T4) certainly is better (perhaps "more advanced" is a better description) than any other Tyros to date, although even that is debatable by Tyros2 and T3 owners.

It is the best for my needs, and quite likely, someone else's, but, let's be realistic, it is hardly going to be "the best" for every-one's needs.

Roland's departure from the TOTL and MOTL arranger arena was basically self-orchestrated, and due to many reasons, but certainly not because they weren't "the best" for many people's needs...the company simply made a decision based on factors only an insider would know, to discontinue most of their arranger line (at least the keyboard based ones), and Technics was of a similar style withdrawal.

That leaves Korg, and, in my opinion, to a lesser extent, Ketron, with Casio and Mediastation really not having anything resembling a TOTL arranger, as choices for the arranger buyer.

Korg's rather controversial launch at NAMM certainly didn't appear to be one of their better product showcasing in recent years, yet, there are many simply not discouraged by what they heard, and still regard Korg as "the best".

I really believe Korg will turn it around, and I think the PA3X will do very well.

Would I want to see Yamaha as the sole producer of TOTL arrangers, even from my relatively small position within the company, and as an admirer of their sound?

Nope!

Competition is why Tyros4 (and PA3X) are where they are with their features today...competition keeps companies on their toes...competition always benefits the buyer/consumer/user....all my opinion, of course.

Ian