Scott, I have gotten one computer based failure since I started out on the software based approach some 5 or more years ago. This one failure was to do with the BIOS....I couldn't get the computer started. I did not know what to do so I called in my Computer Science Graduate relative and in 3 minutes he cleared the BIOS and recovered the original. Everything worked fine....but in this case you need to know what your are doing....I didn't.

In general, I have no failures or crashes. I use my music computer only for music. In addition, I do all my music editing on my General Computer. Plus my music computer is tweaked for optimum music/multi media use.

So the bottomline is that my system is just as realiable and efficient as any arranger or workstation keyboard but it is more effective....it sounds so much better.

However, my system does not have as good a control surface as you would find on hardware based solutions. As I have said many times....I am used to my system and can switch instruments, styles, vocal harmonizers, etc. just as quickly as those with arranger keyboards. If you use a controller keyboard where you can save 128 or so total midi setups and utilize host software with scene changes then you should beable to run things pretty efficiently. I guess I could improve things by replacing my existing screen with a touch screen.

If you like the software approach but still are not convinced the control surface is for you then you may need to look at other alternatives, e.g., Wersi, Liontracs, Open Labs and so on. These alternatives tend to be more expensive.

It is also important where you play. If you play in a studio or say in high end book stores, night clubs, etc. my system will give you no problems in terms of the control surface. It may not be quit as good for dances where you need to keep the dance floor full....but even here I can do it...I am used to it.

[This message has been edited by Frank L. Rosenthal (edited 07-20-2006).]