Quote:
Originally posted by rikkisbears:
Hi Frank,
thank you.
The 10ms or 3ms is the latency setting I had in Forte depending on whether I used an external card & asio driver, or just the internal card & windows drivers. Wouldn't have a clue what the real latency is unless those settings are actually acurate. ?

I'd removed Forte & the asio drivers etc from my new dual core laptop after I managed to get my old laptop working again. Unfortunately it crashed & died again.

Anyway, I'll load Forte etc back in , I'm determined to try & use a mix of sd2 drum loops & fonts if I can.

Just one more question Frank, if I'm using forte & live synth pro with fonts & just say I'm genuinely getting a 3ms latency,
if I used a soundfont sax as a lead instrument would I get increased latency using a sax from just say garritons ( not referring to any loading time etc that may be involved ) just the perception of hitting the key & hearing the note?
(Sorry to be difficult haa haa)

best wishes
Rikki
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Frank L. Rosenthal:
[B]

Rikki,
Here is a way that you may be able to get an accurate reading of you true latency. This website has a free downloadable tool to measure latency. It measures the true round-trip latency of your computer audio setup, from input to output via an ASIO driver
http://centrance.com/products/ltu/

They also have low latency drivers for a price. The Ideal Driver sells $39.95 and claims a 6ms latency which is supposed to be so low that it is not detectable by most people.

It also is supposed to add greater compatability like adding GSIF support to soundcards that previously did not have it.

Anyway I thought that the Latency Test Utility might be able to give you the info you need for an accurate comparison.

Richard