Hi Lee

Quote:
Yep good way to do it...BUT, anything, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobody's fault (Quote from a movie!) that crunches the CPU during live play...enough that the CPU can't get the sound into RAM...and...Dropout happens.

It's more like down to your own doing than anything else. There are no unexpected spikes in CPU usage under linux as it's not going to start running processes in the background like Windows does all on it's own.

So really any drop outs you experience are caused by your own doing and the fact your running far too much at the same time for the resources you have.

Quote:
The OS and complete system must be optimized and have safeguards to try to prevent this.
But, it can happen in the right situation.

About the only thing you can tweak is the latency buffer. There's nothing else that can or needs to be optimised. But your right, drop outs can happen in the right situation. For example, Spectrasonics Omnisphere would bring the best of PC's to their knees.

I guess it's a matter of getting to know the system and know it's limitations. If you find your the type of user that's running into problems, or the VSTi's you prefer are all hungry ones. Then an upgrade of the resources would be needed to work efficiently and without drop outs.

Take Domenico for example. His personal keyboard is running on the Asrock 770Extreme3, 6 Cores, DDR3 and he's got RAID with two 10,000RPM HHD's. lol.... power junkie.

Quote:
IMHO, with Windows this is more concern than Linux? The CPU speed and all other aspects must be way overkill to hopefully prevent this.

Yes, totally. As I mentioned above, Linux runs very flat, there's nothing unexpected. The only increases in the system resources are your own doing and what your running.

Quote:
Then, what about very heavy polyphony????
And who can really predict how many notes may need to go at the same time?

If all your running are samples, then your poly count will be hundreds of notes. It's far far beyond any closed workstation or arranger, that's for sure.

Regards
James