Quote:
Originally posted by FAEbGBD:
As a piano accordionist, I definitely see some advantages to playing the button style. One being, it's isomorphic. Learn to play in one key, and you know how to play in all keys. So suddenly you can start working a lot more on speed and other types of riffs rather than trying to work out how everything is going to lay in the different shapes using a piano accordion. Also, you get more range using a button accordion. The buttons are smaller, and though there are some repeats, you still get probably an octave's worth more of range in the right hand. Also, with the increased range, you can make wider spaced harmonies, because the notes are closer together, so reaching an octave and a half to 2 octaves isn't nearly as impossible as it is on a standard sized piano accordion.
All that being said, I'm sticking with piano accordion as that's what I learned on and have played for 20 years.

Rorie: Many Thanks for your well outlined explanation of the benefits of buttons vs piano keys because coming a background of piano (not accordions) I would not have known about these obviously important advantages. The question now would be how long would it take (days/weeks/month/years) to master Rh button playing vs already proficient piano style key play. Has Anybody here made that transition?

Scott