Looking at doing things a little differently this weekend...

We'll (the quartet) be using a sub for our regular sax guy. This sub ONLY plays tenor sax (no clarinet or flute). He comes highly recommended and I'm looking forward to hearing him.

My curiosity is about how to mic him. Usually our regular uses a Sure sm58 from the early 80's. I need to provide a mic for the sub and have three choices:

1) A SHURE SM58 from 2004...

2) A SHURE SM57 from about the same time...

3) A AKG Perception 220...

...the event this weekend will be a ballroom dance at a fairly large Country Club in Dayton, OH. Ages range from 50's to 80's or so...

...My PA is a Bose L1...

...we'll be watching volume closely most of the night...

Either of the SHURES would be fine, no question. I get a little higher frequency response on the 57, but nothing too dramatic.

If I were to use the AKG, its a whole different ballgame. This is a recording mic that is extremely sensitive. (If a truck drives on my street while I'm recording with it, it picks it up...) Given that, I'm wondering if it would be more of a headache than anything else on stage that night? It will certainly pick up the PA (which is behind us) and the drums for sure...

It'd be interesting to hear how a superior mic handles the sax that night. I'm just concerned about the other sounds (PA, Drums, etc...) causing more problems than its worth....

Any feedback, (no pun intended) would be appreciated...

Thanks...

------------------
Bill in Dayton