(I also posted this on the General Arranger Forum)
I’m glad to see another Mac user on the forum. I use a Mac G4 with Digital Performer v3.02 and my SD1. It works great.
If you’re tring to record MIDI (out) directly on the G4 sequencer, you need to come out of MIDI 1, not the GM out. You set the Utilities to send the info you want on the channels you select.
I found it easier to use a serial : usb converter, the SD1 cable, and KetronFT program. It eliminates all the MIDI cables, and you can record, playback and copy files thru the USB port (on the G4) and computer/serial port (SD1).
I set both MIDI ports to GM.
I record my sequence using the SD1 Song Record. It saves it as a SMF. Using the KetronFT program I copy the SMF to my G4, and open it with Performer. (Remember to set the SD1 Computer setting to “PC” when using Ketron FT, and to “Mac” when running Performer. Also, you can’t have both programs open at the same time- the G4 usb port only recognizes one at a time.)
You now use the keyboard and Performer to finalize the sequence. Save it as a SMF, type 1, and copy it back to the SD1. I play it back (using Song Play) and tweak the sounds, volumes, etc, and save it. That also puts the correct SysEx codes on the sequence.
I hope this helps. For more specifics, email me directly.
Don Kane