Donny, you've put your finger on a huge part of the problem. The public, the average American between the ages of 20 and 50, has very few choices if they want to hear 'live' music. The average young person's idea of 'live music' is a mega-thousand-attendee rock concert. Most of the small venues that used to provide the main outlets for live music are becoming few and far between. They have been replaced by Karaoke, DJ's, KJ's, etc. Even OMB's, although 'live' (sort of), are usually replacements for what used to be trios and quartets. Most clubs won't even spring for one extra person which kills many opportunities for non-singing OMB's that need a singer to make the gig work.

It's a sad state of affairs and a horrible trend that seems to be getting worse. Around here, even old established clubs can't maintain the genre' full time. Jazz clubs will usually have one or more nights for R&B or Rock, C&W bars and clubs will have Blues or Southern Rock nights. It's the only way they can stay in business. I guess the upside is that it's still 'live music', but just goes to show what clubs have to do to keep live music on the schedule. I don't know this for sure, but I get the sense that this condition does not extend to Europe. I'd like to know, if some of our European members would like to chime in.

chas