I just thought I would share this, as it did affect me. In the past two weeks, I have gone to four funerals. Four friends, gone.

The reason I am posting this is my cousin's death. He was 83, yes, but in robust health. As active as anyone can be. Even had a girlfriend 30 years younger than him. Fit, vibrant. Became ill and was diagnosed with gall bladder problems. Long story short, they did "routine" laparoscopic surgery to remove his gall bladder. And he died.

Yes, he was 83. But everyone thought he'd certainly hit 100. One minute, talking and joking about getting his garden going next week and then a few hours later, dead. His family is in shock. Me, too. I really liked this man and he is one of the few relatives that age that I still have.

Routine surgery is not without serious risk. I have lost two friends this way. I have no idea what happened with my cousin, it's possible that someone might have been at fault. Then again, anytime you go under anesthesia, I guess sometimes, the body just doesn't wake up.

So, it just reminds me once again how important it is... that if we have had a dream to do something, whatever it is, carpe diem.

EDIT: P. S. I didn't post this for sympathy, I am doing just fine. I just posted it so it might spur someone to take that first step for whatever you might have been putting off. Easier said than done, isn't it.

[This message has been edited by SemiLiveMusic (edited 02-25-2010).]