I think the keyboard companies for the most part know that a good majority of arranger players like to trade up when the next "big thing" surfaces. And because of that reliable "phenomenon" the manufacturers have decided to give their new arranger models just enough *bling* to barely whet one's appetite or one's whistle from the previous model's features; yet they know that a majority of keyboardists will take the bait anyway, so they keep repeating the cycle. Like Yamaha has done with the Tyros line, Korg with the Pa line, Roland with the the G arranger line, add infinitum.

If more arranger keyboardists would bite the bullet and hold off (unless there is truly a good reason to upgrade) I think the manufacturers would then be compelled to give each successive totl arranger model more than just a "cosmetic" face lift, etc., from that of what the previous model had.

Sure, they would have to charge a little more for each successive model they come out with but it would sure be worth it for the consumer because he or she would be getting much more for his or her dollar in the process. As it stands now someone may have a Tyros2 and if, perchance, you happen to trade up to a Tyros3 you're NOT really getting much more for your money and some might even say the T3 was actually a step backward, at least as far as the Drums go anyway. Yet, for whatever reason, people still go gaga at the mention of a new model coming out and in many cases will buy it sight unseen. I think part of the problem is people think they "have to have" the latest greatest, and to show the world that they're on the cutting edge of keyboard technology and they have the best "out there". Or at least to show their fellow keyboardists of that fact anyway. Which is okay I suppose, but the fact that they're just upgrading for upgrading's sake alone is unfortunate in a way because their dollars are not truly being utilized optimally in my opinion. If you have money to burn like Fran and Donny then it won't matter to their ultra deep pockets anyway. But manufacturers like Yammie, Korg, Roland, Ketron, etc. see this "mysterious" affliction that most arranger keyboardists seem to have and they then continue to give us these silly, microscopic, itsy-bitsy, incremental upgrades with each successive new model they happen to dish out, and to a seemingly giddy and blubbering awestruck audience just waiting in the wings for the next one to be announced. Never mind that the new model is basically just like the old model, only more expensive, right?

All the best,
Mike