A year or so ago a client, (nursing home/upscale retirement community) informed me that I needed to provide liability insurance in order to continue being employed by said client.

Some things to know:

1) Generally speaking, its not guys like us they really have in mind. Any repair service techs, construction, installation, Delivery guys, etc. type people who have reason to be in their business. If a over head light fixture falls out of the ceiling, they need to know who to come after.

2) I spoke directly to the main office and explained that one man shops aren't geared to carry large lines of insurance coverage, if any. They agreed and said this wasn't meant for entertainers...

3) The above may not apply in your situation, but its worth making sure you're name didn't just pop up from a vendors report and now you have this problem.

4) Ask your AD what insurance other entertainers are providing. Check out their rates...

5) Another possibility is to explore a group rate. If all of a sudden all entertainers have to have this, maybe if you join together on this issue, you can get a better deal (ie: rates) than you could individually.

Let us know how it turns out...

I have insurance on my equipment. I'm covered for just about anything up to 15K at a annual cost to me of about $90...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

[This message has been edited by Bill in Dayton (edited 03-12-2009).]