You can make something being anywhere on the continuum from "know nothing of music" to "Brahms studied under me", but where you are on the continuum will determine how much of yourself is really in the final product.

Near the "know nothing..." end of the spectrum is Acid using the included stock of samples - true drag-and-drop "creation." (MTV has marketed an even simpler version of this which I've seen in middle school general music classes - can't remember the name, but 6-graders with little musical background can produce something with it!) A little further along would be BIAB. I suspect Cloakboy's reaction to it is more stylistic criticism than anything - I'm sympathetic, but I'd put Fruity Loops at about the same level. Fruity Loops is more groove oriented whereas BIAB produces cutesy chord progressions and childish arpeggiation, hence it's pretty out of step with current music trends.

From there you'd go to sequencing - sampled loops and synths driven by MIDI files generated from a simple software package (the step-wise suggestion eliminates the need for playing skills, but not musical knowledge). By the time you get to Sonar or Cubase, you're going to have to seriously know something about music.

In general...do what makes you happy. If you can't find a comfortable and satisfying place for yourself on the above continuum with your current level of knowledge, the best way to improve yourself is to find musicians who know more than you, and pursue their company. (Preferably "warm bodies" rather than us virtual folks - there's a limit how much you can learn about music from text bulletin boards!) Music is, more than anything else, an oral and personal tradition, and you learn best from others who are further along.