Quote:
My feeling about all of this is simple - if you really use your keyboard much like you would play a piano than the 76 keys would be really nice. On the other hand if you are an "arranger" type player than I doubt it really makes that much difference.

If I might add something to what you said. In my opinion even arranger type players should welcome and benefit from the extra 15 keys i.e. (76 vs. 61) because the extra keys allows extra available space for split points and even the inclusion of additional split points without being nearly as cramped as you would be on a 61 key arranger. 76 keys is beneficial for other voices besides just piano too, plus you end up not using the Octave switch nearly as much as you would on a 61 key board. 61 keys are fine for Organs but when you again consider setting up split points 76 keys would be more desirable in my opinion - especially if you use split points quite a bit and want to have more control and freedom, which 76 keys would allow you to do.

Weight is a big factor for many people but manufacturers are finally addressing this issue and you can now get a 76 key totl arranger today that registers under 40 lbs. Case in point is the Korg Pa2XPRO 76 key at 39.68 lbs/18 kg, whereas your former Pa1X 61 key weighs in at 48.5 lbs / 22 kg. The Pa1X has speakers though, of course, but the main point is the Pa2XPRO has 76 keys and weighs under 40 lbs.

I wouldn't be surprised within the next 3 to 5 years manufacturers will even further reduce the weight on their 76 key totl arrangers to around 30-35 lbs and still build them like a tank. With lighter and stronger composites becoming available, and becoming a viable option for manufacturers to use them, I think we will continue to see a decrease in weight on arrangers and workstations alike in the coming days and years ahead.

Best,
Mike