Quote:
Originally posted by Scott Langholff:

Really? How many agree with this that have tried both?

http://www.purgatorycreek.com/index.html

It's the definitive place for comparison of sampled piano. EXACTLY the same SMF, played through nearly everything there is. Very dynamic, very full ranged, and all extreme's of playing, from soft and close=voiced middle range notes to bright and open extremes.

The perfect apples to apples site. No factory runs it, the files are user submitted and peer reviewed.

For me, there isn't the slightest doubt. Play the Tysos2 piano file, then play the FantomX (same as G70). Night and day... (it is the one!)

Sure, the Tyros is nice and bright, and cuts through a mix like a laser. But the Roland sounds more like a REAL piano, in person. No EQ tricks, just plain piano. It's easier to EQ brightness into a good natural piano sound (just cut some lows, low mids, a hair of air at the top) than to create warmth and natural low to med-low velocities from a bright sample that doesn't have it (IMO )

For me, in particular, it's the quieter passages that show off the Roland 'sound'. Sure, both have pretty good loud piano sounds. But when it gets quiet, soft, whatever, when I listen to the Roland's, I get the feeling the piano is still right in front of me, but when the Yamaha's get quiet, I get more of a sense of 'distance', as if the darn thing just got twenty feet away, or something...

I would STILL like to hear the new T3 piano on the Purgatory Creek file. I think it possibly addresses that T2 lack of low end warmth. But at least I'll be hearing it as a direct comparison to Roland and all the others, rather than a subjective one if they all had different tunes and players, etc.!

All of this is, of course, completely my opinion I urge everyone to make the most of the Purgatory Creek resource, and start to listen objectively, at least to piano sounds!