I think I begin to see the light...

Organ players DON'T WANT realistic styles or sounds! It would distract from the unrealistic organ sounds too much!

I guess if your main style of music is playing styles, songs and stuff from the seventies and earlier, using seventies quality sounds is going to get you a lot closer to the sound of the heyday of the 'home organ'. Cheesy drum sounds, unrealistic guitar sounds (and more castanets!) kind of defined that period in organ history.

So, naturally, an organ that sounded as cheesy as those early Thomas's, Lowery's and even Wersi's is going to resonate well with people who's musical tastes (and equipment choices) haven't changed in forty years, and run to that dated style...

In the meantime, the rest of us have made it to the 21st century, and are never looking back!

Still, it makes you wonder... The whole 'open' arranger, VSTi's and hi-tech computers, in the hands of players who mostly want to sound like Klaus Wunderlich in the seventies! No wonder there's a real lack of user demos that utilize this 21st century technology. No-one really wants to sound THAT modern (or they'd already have a T2/PA2X/G70!).

But, I guess most of them buy it and install it, just to one-up each other at the organ club meeting... 99% of all OAS users would probably sound better OOTB on a T2 than struggling with OAS and those lame styles (if they even wanted to sound contemporary, that is).

I'll tell you one thing these Wersi owners don't stint on, though, and it may well be one of the reasons they praise it so highly... A really good speaker system. I can't count how many TOTL arranger users I've heard here that play their amazing 21st century machines through crap keyboard amps, gerry-rigged home theater systems or even the pathetic built-in speakers

Run it through as strong and well designed a sound system, and it'll sound even better. Running a $3500 arranger through a $500 amp just doesn't make sense. Try a $1500 set of reference monitors and subs, and all of a sudden, you finally hear the TRUE sound of your arranger!

But organ players go one more step... instead of listening to the speakers directly, organs are designed to bounce the sound of the speakers all around the room. There are often several different speakers for different sections of the organ, sometimes pointing different ways. But one thing they all tend to have in common is that you NEVER get to hear the speaker directly. It always bounces around, and fills up the room before you hear it. Quite impressive, if done right...

Try it yourself, some time... set up your monitors so you get an indirect sound, point them away from you, into the walls and corners of the room. You'll probably have to adjust the EQ a bit, but it can give you a bigger sound if you want that (but not necessarily a more accurate one!).

Anyway... sadly, Bill, few here are still into the sixties and seventies organ scene, so it's hardly surprising that the Wersi doesn't get the praise you think it deserves. For that niche style of music, it's probably pretty good. But for the same reason I don't gig with a harpsichord (no-one seems to know how to minuet and gavotte any more!), I can't really ever see me using something that dated sounding Wersi, either...