Styles run on the arranger... without the arranger, same deal.

Look, I think we are over-thinking this. Yamaha use ethernet to deliver content to the T2. My idea would be basically the same, except to add a unique, per-arranger ID to each unit. The arranger hooks to the internet, sends it's unique ID, this is incorporated into the style that is sent back so it ONLY works on the arranger with that ID.

No ID, no play. Strip out the ID, and it still doesn't play on any other unit...

I'm just not quite sure why everyone is so hell-bent to shoot down this idea. Hardware keyed software DOES remain secure, and anything that allowed the ROM quality style creators to be able to sell styles without fear of piracy has GOT to encourage them to do it a LOT more than they do now.

What's the #1 thing everyone wants? MORE STYLES, MORE STYLES, MORE STYLES... Why don't we get them? Because everyone (OK not everyone, but enough!) steals them, trades them, swaps them as soon as they have them. Anything that breaks this cycle has GOT to help increase the choice.

Bottom line is, if the price for styles is lowered to the point where it ain't worth cracking, nobody is even going to try, and the hardware key should make it close to impossible, anyway... But that price won't drop until the developers are SURE that they will get money for each copy used...

OK... Still don't like the idea? Come up with a better one.

It's about the only way I see around the problem. Any alternatives (other than we ALL stop copying them)?