Think again!

Last night I filled in for a friend that is recovering from recent heart surgery. I played a mid-size Italian restaurant for some folks that really enjoy dancing and kept the dancefloor packed throughout the evening.

While setting up I noticed nearly every wall outlet had one of those small air freshening devices, you know, the kind that heats up a tiny bulb of scented oil and keeps the room smelling like a house of ill repute. One was a few feet behind my chair, and you could clearly see where it had been leaking on the tile floor. Not a big puddle of oil, but enough to cover a spot about 6-inches in diameter.

At the end of the job I saw that some of the oil had dripped onto my main AC plug where it connected to my heavy-duty extension cord. Everything appeared OK, and I wiped the oil off the plugs with a couple napkins before packing the gear in the bags.

Today, when I set up to do another job, I noticed the plug looked different when the console was being removed from the bag. Careful inspection revealed the plug was completely destroyed, apparently eaten away by being in contact with the scented oils.

I made the best of things by cutting and splicing the wires with my pocket knife, then taping the connection with duct tape. This got me through the job without any problems.

When I got home I replaced the plugs, both of them, buttoned things back up and tested the entire system--just be on the safe side. Everything worked just fine.

It's hard to concieve how this happened--but it certainly taught me a lesson. I always carry a spare entension cable in the van, along with spare mic, and lots of other spares--just to be on the safe side. I just added a spare surge protector to the list, which is where the plug that was destroyed was connected.

Just another fun day in Paradise!

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)