Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
Spalding ..I got the impression..you were trying to knock the Roland RD700sx piano sample ..more than judging the value of VST's ..

BTW : you would lose that bet about the "larger size" of the RD700sx piano sample..

Total wave memory:

128 M bytes (16-bit linear equivalent)

I also agree that size does/can matter..as FAEbGBD..touched on..the layers of sampled piano is what gives the overall sample the dynamics..this will use more memory [Size)..Sure you can get a great sound with 16 -32 megs..as that Italian grand sample posted..BTW: many consider that Italian brand the best in the world..

For the most part the 3 strike Yamaha, or 4 layered Roland piano will sound good and do the job...but to state that a larger sample would not do a far better job is just silly... 12 or more layers of velocity switched piano samples will show the dynamics at different volumes and attack(velocity) dynamics too..that using a filter by itself will not do..

I still like the RD700 pianos..they are clean and very playable..not as bright and buzzy as some of the others you suggested..

Hi Fran. No i wasnt knocking the Roland i threw it in as a comparrison simply because of its reputation for great sounding pianos.

I dont think you'll find that i said a larger sample would not do a better job.

i said 'Then post up your own opinions about the differences in sound and texture and whether the argument about large VST sample size hold as much water as you would imagine it should.' Well do they ????

I also said 'yes i hear you Bill but the point i was making is that the Kontakt is many many times larger than the 16mb or 32mb sampled pianos. Does the gap in the performance and playability of the sample reflect the huge difference in Sample Size ?????' Well does it ?