Addressing the background noice with sensitive mics:\

I produced a remake of the hit single "They're coming to take me away, ha ha", as well as TWO sequals and a dozen other weird comic tunes for a guy that used the stage name of Napoleon 14th ( I forget the Roman numerals! ). He lived in a row home in Philly and we recorded and/or remastered 90% of the album in ProTools or on an Adat (remember those?)using a very high end Neuman U87 ( I think that was the number ). This mic has traveled with my client from his glory days in the Brill Building (NYC) recording for Neil Diamond, Carol King, Sammy Davis Jr, Bert Bacharach and countless others, and was so sensitive, you could hear nose hair moving! I can't tell you hpw many "lip smacks" I had to remove!
Anyway - the trick to our pristine vocal sound was to record the voice in a closet full of heavy wollen coats. It was the BEST tone I have ever gotten from any mic. No hidden sounds, no unwanted reverb, no unexpexted ANYTHINGS.

Try it !