Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
The day they come out with an arranger that sounds and plays as good as a real drummer, the day they come out with an arranger that sounds and plays as good as a real bass player, the day they come out with an arranger that sounds and plays as good as a real guitarist...

Let me rephrase:
The day already came when:
**Using the drum machine got me through jobs that would not allow room or volume for a drum set
**I've been playing my own bass lines for 30 years, as do many legit organists - the arranger bass just frees up part of my brain to be more creative in other ways - presentation, vocals, solos etc
** (Cover your ears, Nigel)
Don't even get me STARTED on guitarists - by far the hardest instrument/player to control in any band I ever worked in.

Give me players that stay in tempo, in key and SOBER ... and I'll rethink some of my solo jobs. The simple fact is: Many poor attitudes were responsible for diminishing band sizes, NOT technology or DJs.

How many times do band members hang out with their girlfriends on break, go to their cars to get high or drunk, take too many liberties with the time clock ... no thanx - in the world of full time music, which I am no longer a slave to, the smaller and tighter the ensemble = the MORE work. It's simple math.

I do love good players, but I hate trying to deal with attitudes, egos and drama on stage, and I have never been in a band that wasn't LOADED with all three. Since I went solo, the bills got paid, the clients got satisfied, and the music industry got a little bit richer.