In all fairness, the G70 isn't THAT much heavier than previous G-series arrangers. About four or five pounds over the G1000, if I remember correctly.

A keybed that good (read heavier) and a stiff enough case to support it that well (no flex is good on a heavy action) will dictate at least a certain weight, without any of the electronics taken into account. And lets face it, the 40 or so lbs. of the G1000 (and about the same for the G800) didn't stop it from being one of the most popular arrangers of it's day...

But, yes, shaving the weight back to the G1000 level would be welcome, but I would insist on NO compromise on the action or stiffness of frame, otherwise you are in the 'toy' quality that a lot of Yamaha products are. No offense, but I shudder at having to spend years on those things, despite the OS and SA voices. Just like a car, where the rubber meets the road is one of the most critical areas for high performance. Ask any real piano player... there's a huge difference between a good piano and a bad one, action-wise.

IMO, same thing applies to electronic keyboards...