Hi,

I'd like to consider adding a small "2nd keyboard" to my arranger setup. For now, I had used a MIDI controller (a Roland / Edirol) which controls my Technics KN-7000 via MIDI.

I want to try an alternative with my S900. I'd like to find a used (since I can't find any new), small form factor keyboard that makes its OWN sound (i.e. has an SGU or sound generating unit within it). Ideally I'm looking for one that is about 2-1/2 octaves long. Ideally, one that has buttons for quickly calling up say 10 most popular sounds. Hopefully one that is compact in form factor / design.

Does anyone know of a keyboard that was out (even years ago) that meets these criteria? I sort of remember that Yamaha had one with 3 octaves, mini keys (not ideal) and its own sounds (sample playback) that were pretty good. But I can't remember the model # at all!

I'm *NOT* looking for a MIDI controller, or anything involving using a computer too. I just want a simple small keyboard to add as a "second manual" to my arranger setup, to play on occasional solo sound, independent of the sounds I have set up on my arranger. Compactness and ease of calling up a dozen or so frequently-used sounds are the primary need.

Thanks for any info or pointers to such a keyboard! Then I can start searching EBay to try to buy one!

Jim
Technics KN-7000, Yamaha S900