Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
I see your point Gary, and it's well taken.

For clients that HAVE no other form of entertainment, of course I would offer to do anything they want. Primarily, though, I work in clubs and restaurants, who do have secondary music systems.

But, as I said, they hire me primarily to PLAY, not to sing karaoke. so I feel, if that is the only thing I can do, I am obliged to inform the client at least, rather than get discovered doing it and asked why I am not playing!

So you WOULD fake playing the dead keyboard?

I also have a problem, using my tracks, because basically they are usually just bass and drums, sometimes just drums, only a few are any more complete than that. I prefer to play as much as possible myself. Are you saying you have tracks that are complete? I guess I could put on our live CD, and fake EVERYTHING (including the singing), but I am very uncomfortable with that thought.

Breakdowns and accidents happen. You try to make the best of the situation, but unless a booking has no other alternative, I personally would feel obliged to offer them the alternative (as they would NOT be getting what they booked), and to inform them that I would NOT be playing.

For me to do any less would be to deceive the client, and, if discovered, would be to invite speculation this was being done to line MY pockets, not to spare them the worry. At least, at that point, the client can make the decision for themselves. But that's just MY approach...

You ask a good question: Would I fake playing?

Thank G-d this problem hasn't happened to me so I don't know. I think each situation is its own. If there was no possibility of me finding someone else to do the job, I would probably reassure the client that everything was going to be amazing and possibly tell him that I was going to fake it, or possibly not - depends on the situation. The thing is that if people think I'm performing instead of playing everything off a laptop, they will dance better. And that's what it comes down to.

Chony