Well I have finally done it. I've decided that if you can't lick 'em, join 'em.
I was getting so many calls for DJ and Karaoke work that I started doing some of them a few months ago. Because I hated it so much, I quoted prices that more than doubled what I got for playing live.
Much to my surprise, it didn't seem to matter, I continued to get referrals and started doing more and more.
Anyway, I now have added hundreds more songs to my laptop, and also purchased a PC Karaoke program that allows me to do Karaoke from the laptop. In addition to the built-in screen, I purchased a large external monitor which I can position for the audience and singers to see.
I have actually started really enjoying this. I no longer have to learn to play chords and remember lyrics. The audience does most of the work! Seems the drunker they get the more fun we have!
I have picked up some lights for larger shows, and I'm even pricing a smoke machine! Sometimes I set up a keyboard and pretend to be playing also. This fools a lot of people!
For several years a lot of the audience thought I was singing to recorded music anyway, so what the heck, now they are right.
Sometimes, late at night after the party is over though, I go home and play the arranger through the headphones though. Especially on holidays or special occasions like April Fool's Day.
DonM