Boo, thanks. I play 95% of your list in my regular rotation.

I can't imagine anything you can do to a Buffet song to make it sound like anything but fluff.

Gary, you may be right. A Buffet instrumental might work at a restaurant. Not at a jazz club. Almost anything will work in a restaurant if arranged and played appropriately. Not for me. I can't imagine anyone who can hold a paying job who couldn't play Buffet. Some of us just choose not to.

I'm called for many of my jobs specifically because I DON'T play Buffet. Luckily, the management team of the largest independent upscale restaurant group makes "no Buffet" or the like a hard rule.

My change in approach is to replace as many arranger singles with jazz trio or duo jobs.
That way, playing each tune is an adventure, with every performance slightly different. And, I've got the chance to play with different people. Most who can play "Giant Steps" would never be happy playing fluff.

It's my intent to make work for those who have progressed to the "Giant Steps" level, and to support a significant population of upcoming jazz students coming out of programs run by a couple of friends at UK, Eastern Kentucky University, Kentucky State and Morehead State University.

To me, playing jazz is an ultra-serious lifetome learning experience. And, it's worth the effort to keep the art form evolving and vital.

Russ

NOTE: My opinion ONLY. No intent to imply that this is the correct approach for ANYONE else. No intent to criticize arrangers, OMB's or players of other than jazz music.