Mike, I totally agree that playing a weighted keyboard like the Roland FP-3 is highly preferable. Only a weighted action keyboard offers you the dynamic playing control and pianistic emulation opportunities on a synth keyboard.

Four years ago, I performed using a Fatar 88 note weighted action keyboard connected to my old arranger (Roland R800 module). Coming from a life-long background as an acoustic piano player, I couldn't imagine even considering playing a synth action keyboard. After suffering several bouts of a bad back and canceled gigs, I realized that I had to make some changes (compromises), or give up gigging altogether.

It took me quite some time (a month) to fully re-adjust my keyboard playing technique to accomodate acoustic piano style playing on a synth action keyboard, but now that I have, I am now able to adjust (almost instantly) back and forth between my Steinway B Grand (fully weighted heavy action) to my synth action (61 note) Technics KN5000 keyboard. Before this time, I thought I would never be able to achieve it, but now I realize otherwise. Since then, I no longer suffer from back problems. I realize that we humans are highly adaptive creatures.

Another issue is the 61 versus 76 note arranger keyboard thing. If solo piano style playing (arranger function OFF) is important for you, I definitely recommend a 76 note (or more) keyboard because the additional 15 notes (octave plus 3) really offers the 'minimal' required keyboard real estate needed for true solo piano style playing.

On the other hand, if you primarily use the arranger for LIVE keyboard (arranger function ON), work, I feel that 61 notes is plenty enough. When you play in arranger keyboard mode (either split or full keyboard 'pianist' mode), you typically use your left hand to comp (triggering the arranger auto-accompaniment chord recognition) while your right hand normally plays fills, counter melodies, and solos. The left hand (generally) really only needs about an octave and a half (when applying smooth harmonic voice leading), leaving the right hand over 3 octaves (about the same amount of territory you have in the right hand in normal 88 note piano playing. Also, with an arranger keyboard, you can easily transpose the octaves of the left hand and right hand at will . This offers even more flexibility.

I NOW prefer playing in arranger keyboard (auto acompaniment) mode especially when playing jazz standards, because it allows you the flexibility to make chord substitutions (tri-tone, etc) on the fly. I typically DON'T like to play along with accompaniments because you are then LOCKED IN to a preset sequence. YUCK! Playing in arranger mode, you can also 'take an additional chorus', modulate, etc, on the fly. Afterall, jazz is all about improvisation and spontaneity, right?

When I play 'Realbook' jazz & latin standards, on my Technics KN5000 (with arranger function ON), I play in full keyboard mode, using the left hand to play a combination of root and jazzy rootless piano voicings (to correctly trigger the autoaccompaniment) while playing (in the right hand) melody, counter melody, fills, and solos. I believe that the trick to sounding professional is to use the arranger backup parts as a backdrop to compliment your LIVE playing and singing. Adding fills at various appropriate places will add sponteniety and realism to the performance as well. Bringing on another LIVE musician (Bass player, horn player, percussionist, additional vocalist) will enhance improvisation (interaction between musicians) which is truly a hallmark of jazz.

Mike, what are some of your favorite jazz tunes you play? Do you play from the RealBook?

As far as going out of time (rubato) with auto accomp, this is not really possible to accomplish with the arranger function ON (auto accomp mode). If I want a tune to include a rubato section, I will typically start the song (rubato style) with the arranger function OFF. I might play the keyboard in split mode, with the left hand set to acoustic bass, while my right hand plays the piano melody (or accompaniment fills) when I'm singing, or play the keyboard (full keyboard mode) as a solo piano. I then go into time (arranger keyboard mode ON) at the second A section or at the bridge. Though not exactly rubuto, another technique is to change the feel (groove) in the middle of a song. You can store/select a different tempo or groove (drum solo) etc for a bar or 2 and go back to the original feel. There are definitely certain arranger tricks you can use to make the music interesting. On the Technics KN keyboards you can easily record a sequence 2-4 bar sequence (much as you requested) which can be triggered via performance pad buttons.

As far as the Korg PA80 and GEM keyboards go: Both of these keyboards do not support the popular jazz style 'chord voicing' recognition that Technics KN6500/5000 & Yamaha 9000/9000pro and (to some degree) the new Solton Ketron SD1 now support. If you are truly a jazz piano player, then I recommend the Technics KN6500/5000 #1 (because it has (in my opinion) has the best quality and most variety of swing & latin styles). The Yamaha 9000pro is another good option (76 keys, but IMHO too heavy for taking out gigging). Though the SD1 now supports rootless jazz style chord recognition, I still think that the drums & rhythm section are a litle too rock oriented (in your face) for my taste for straight ahead & modern jazz material. As far as ease of use, NOTHING beats the Technics OS. These are only my personal opinions, but hey, I'm speaking from experience as a pro musician (not a salesman). - Scott