Ok, soft synths aren't really arranger related, at least not at the present time anyway, but for those of us that compose music, and maybe even for live applications, they are certainly music related.

If you have a good low latency soundcard ( ASIO based such as Audiophile 2496 works well ) and Vst hosting software ( such as Cubase SX, N tracdk, SQ01 ( the soft sequencer bundled with some of the newer high end yamaha boards ) Sonar 3 ?, ( earlier versions require a "vst wrapper", etc, then some of these may be worth looking at. We had discussed in an earlier thread the possibility of a soft arranger. I not only think it's practical, I also think it's inevitable. Somewhere along the line, I believe someone is going to realize that it will be a worthwhile venture and a software arranger will be released. Jammer Live, OMB, Live sdtyler, etc are a step in that direction, but I'm talking a real time arranger, complete with it's own soundset based on both samples ( the way our hardware arranger boards are now ) and analog / physical modeling synths.

For the time being, there are several good and relatively good commercial analog modeling / modular / samplers / workstations emulations out there already.

If anyone is interested, the following website has a comprehensive list and access to many commercial and freeware soft synths: http://www.kvr-vst.com/

The majority of the freeware synths I tested ( I tried many ) ranged from fair to poor in quality, but you can try them and get your feet wet ie .. how to setup and work with vst / dxi softsynths, soundcard latency issues, memory issues.. etc

There were a couple of very good freeware analog modeling synths that I actually kept after I demoed them and would have no problems using. One is called the Super wave P8, and it can be obtained as a free download from: http://home.btconnect.com/christopherg/main.htm They also make and distribute commercial softsynths, but I can tell you that the freeware P8 has sounds that rival my AN150 plug in ( which is very good in it's own right ), and of course my AN150 only has 5 notes of poly ( but I'm getting a second one for the Motif ES to add 5 more notes of poly ).

Another keeper is the RGCaudio Triangle II. It's a mono only synth ( vst and standalone ) but what sounds.. RGC also makes a relatively inexpensive commercial poly synth called the pentagon that sounds very very good as well.

Of course thwere are my other commercial favorites as well, including Arturia's CSV80 and Moog modular V, Native Instruments Pro53 ( Prophet 5 emulator ), and my newest favorite, Novation's V station ( based on the K station and reviewed by users of both to sound exactly like the K station ).

So, if you do want that analog emulation model, or a new sample based soundset, and you already have an arranger or workstation that you like to work with, you don't need to spend 1, 2 or even 3 grand or more on a new arranger or synth. many of these softsynths will easily rival or in some cases even surpass much of the high end hardware that's out there.

I'm glad to have been able to read the experiences of Frank L Rosenthal and some othere here and on other synth forums. I don't think I'll ever be tempted again to buy a new synth or arranger strictly to upgrade a soundset. I'll always want to have a good hardware workstation like the Motif ES and a good arranger for live play, but when considering any new hardware purcahses it will now in large part come down to additional features before I plunk down the big money again.

After I get a modest backup for the PA80 that I can feel comfortable playing on, I'm staying outta the manufacturer's horse race for good until ( and if ) something really revolutionary comes along, rather than upgrading every time a few new features / sounds come out. Admittedly, there are newer and better featured arrangers than my PA80, but not so much beter that I feel compelled to plunk own the nearly 3 grand I'd need for a PA1x or the 2500 plus I'd need to get a Tyros.

I'm not trying to say that those that want and can afford it shouldn't go out and get the latest and greatest, and particularly for the money making pro's, I remember from being in my own business ( of a different kind ) the feeling of wanting to give back to my life's blood by investing in the best and most modern tools .

For some of the rest of us, that may be ok too, ( the constant tempation to upgrade ) but.... if you're like me and are feeling as if you're on the manufacturer's merry go 'round, meaning that they try to market you a new board every year with just a few new sounds / features, there are other alternatives, and hopefully, dedicated soft arrangers will have their place as well.

Best Regards all,

AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 01-10-2004).]