IMO another utility is needed, that can glean chord changes from an existing MIDI or "quick record" made on the PSR. The utility program would then _append_ these chord changes to the end of the midi file in Yamaha XF meta-event format, such that when the file is imported into a PSR-1000+, changes would appear on the "CHORD" tab in song creator.

This would allow one to make further changes on the PSR, and re-"expand" into a full midi. IMO the power of the CHORD tab and EXPAND function is underutilized in the current OS, where its use is limited to "step" recording.

I kept waiting for this functionality to be added via OS upgrade, but so far no joy. The trick is to emulate the data, in the same format it appears at the end of the file when one does a "step record". It's not that difficult to figure out. I have studied it and think I understand the meaning of the bytes. But I lack the programming skill to create a GUI utility for this purpose.

Perhaps Michael Bedesem, Heiko Plate, Paul Tumelty or someone else will read this message and give it a try!

Ted S.
North Texas USA

[This message has been edited by TedS (edited 10-05-2006).]