Sounds like the "newest" trend in arranger keyboards is including "76" keys.

I first started out playing piano when I was 4 yrs old (back in the sixties) on an 88 note acoustic piano. When shopping for my first synth (about 10 years ago), I told myself that I would only play an 88 note weighted action board. That quickly changed whem the weight, dimensions, and logistics of hauling around such a heavy and awkward board made me quickly decide on a 76 note weighted keyboard (Fatar 1176) instead. I still vowed I'd "never" play a 61 note synth-action board though, until.... one day I found I wasn't able to fit even the Fatar 1176 (including case) into a compact sized car's trunk which I had borrowed because my larger car was in the repair shop. Even this 76 note weighted action keyboard was getting to be too akward and heavy to haul around regularly gigging. When I first discovered the Technics KN5000 arranger (61 note synth action) keyboard, I initially thought that the relatively lightweight board and only 61 synth action keys would not be acceptable for playing and sounding professional. I've come a long way (2-1/2 years) from that initial accessment. I quickly adapted to the synth action and can now pretty easily switch back and forth between my acoutic grand piano (Steinway B) and the KN5000 synth action board.

I also learned that arranger keyboard playing techniques (w/ auto accompaniment)are different than playing a synth (without auto accompaniment). In auto accompaniment mode you have bass, drums & instrumental accompaniment. You as the keyboard player play chords in the left hand or two handed-in full keyboard mode (to trigger correct accomp bass line/harmonies). Thus there really is no need for the extended keyboard beyond 61 keys. The low range of notes (bottom end) are played by the auto accompaniment "bass line part" so you don't need or want to play (via your live keyboard playing) this range of notes. The comp chords you want to play are typically limited to the mid-keyboard range (C3 - C4) in order to sound appropriate in the context of the band. The "only" advantage (in my opinion) to having a 76 note keyboard on an arranger keyboard is for playing solo piano (no auto arranger accompaniment). If you primarily play the arranger keyboard using the auto accompaniment feature, I don't see any advantage to purchasing the heavier and longer (akward to transport) 76 note arranger keyboard.

My opinion (especially if you are a gigging musician who needs to transport your arranger board to/from gigs) is to stay with the 61 key arranger board, especially if you primarily play in auto-accompaniment mode. The 61 synth board is adequate (abeit marginally) for limited solo keyboard performance, but I do think it's worth the trade-off for size/weight (easy transportability). If you do a lot of solo keyboard playing (no auto accompaniment) and/or keeping your keyboard at home, then the new 76 note arranger keyboards may be something to consider.

I'm interested in hearing feedback and thoughts from others on this new 76 keyboard arranger trend.

Scott

California (SF Bay Area), USA